Mouth watering snacks… Empanadas are a favorite because of their quick cooking time and because you can fill them with whatever your imagination allows, preferably meats and spices.
Travel Advisory: DO NOT eat empanadas from your favorite third-world street vendor. Most (All) don’t change the oil frequently and can upset your stomach and ruin your trip and the trip for your friends who have to hear you whine.
It is best to order them from an established restaurant or make them at home.
What you need: A frying pan, cooking oil, fillings and dough. You can go back to the 18th century and make your own dough or save time and buy some empanada ready dough.
1. Prepare your empanada for frying by placing the fillings in the center then fold the dough over to form a half moon.
2. Press and seal the empanada as best as possible, easily achievebable with a fork.
3. Pour cooking oil into the frying pan and heat at low temperature.
4. After the oil has heated up, place the empanada in the frying pan and let the magic begin.
5. Flip over the empanada until you get a crunchy shell on both sides.
6. Place onto a plate and endulge.
Most common used fillings: Cooked ham, pork, ham and pork, chicken and of course cheese, tomatoes and peppers.
For more creative fillings and styles check out these recipes.